Stingers Announce 2017 Promotional Schedule and Home Opener Guest
Home Opener and all single game tickets to go on-sale Monday, May 1 at 10am
WILLMAR, MN – The Willmar Stingers of the Northwoods League are excited to announce that former Minnesota Twin Tom Brunansky will be this year’s opening night guest. Brunansky will throw out the ceremonial first pitch for the 2017 Home Opener presented by Marcus Construction at 7:05 p.m. on Tuesday, May 30th at Bill Taunton Stadium against the Thunder Bay Border Cats.
Fans will be able to meet Tom Brunansky, take photos and get his autograph when gates open at 6 p.m. The first 500 fans through the gates will receive a 2017 magnet schedule and will be treated to a post-game fireworks show!
Brunansky was drafted 14th overall in the 1st round of the 1978 major league draft by the California Angels. After making his major-league debut in 1981 with the Angels, Brunansky was traded to the Minnesota Twins in May of 1982. He went on to play seven seasons with the Twins from 1982-1988 earning a World Series title during the 1987 season.
Brunansky played 14 total seasons in Major League Baseball with five different franchises (California, Minnesota, St. Louis, Boston, Milwaukee). He finished his career with a career batting average of .245 along with 271 home runs and 919 runs batted in. Brunansky was also a member of the 1985 American League All-Star team which was played at the Metrodome in Minnesota.
Most recently, Brunansky returned to the Minnesota Twins organization where he spent four seasons as the team’s hitting coach from 2013-2016 under Ron Gardenhire and current Twins Manager Paul Molitor.
Single game tickets for the 2017 season, the Stingers eighth in Northwoods League, will go on sale Monday, May 1st at 10 am. Fans will be able to purchase tickets at willmarstingers.com, the Stingers tickets office located at Bill Taunton Stadium, or by calling 320-222-2010.
The 2017 season will again feature some unique and familiar promotional nights throughout the summer. Here is a full list of the promotional schedule for the upcoming season:
- May 30: Home Opener featuring former Minnesota Twin and World Series Champion Tom Brunansky presented by Marcus Construction and media partners Q102, KWLM, Big Country and The Train. Post-game fireworks.
- May 31: Anti-Bullying Night presented by the Anti-Bullying Initiative and REACH Fundraising. Pre-Game presentation at 6:15p.m. by International Anti-Bullying Speaker Keenan West. (Keenanwest.com)
- June 1: Books and Baseball Night presented by Early Childhood Initiative. 1st 250 families with a child under 4 years of age will receive a book and will be able to read with the Stingers on the field before the game.
- June 2: Baseball Cap Night presented by Heritage Bank and Pioneer Heritage Insurance. 1st 300 fans.
- June 6: 3rd Annual Rice Community All-Stars Night presented by Rice Memorial Hospital. Nine area youth will be awarded the ultimate Stingers experience.
- June 12: Community Christian School Night presented by North American State Bank.
- June 13 (1:05 game): Join the Stingers for an afternoon at the ballpark.
- June 13 (7:05 game): Bring Your Own Instrument Night presented by Hansen Advertising. Calling all musicians (or want-to-be musicians) to participate in between inning music. 1st 250 fans receive kazoos.
- June 15: First Responders and Firefighters Appreciation Night presented by the Dan Baker Foundation. A night to promote addiction awareness.
- June 17: S’mores versus Campfires Night. The entire night will be dedicated to the northwoods treat, the s’more. S’mores and Campfires uniforms, marshmallow roasting, youth campout and s’more! Post-game fireworks presented Fischer Laser Eye Center.
- June 22: Relay for Life Night presented by Southern Minnesota Beet Sugar Cooperative. Stingers players will be wearing commemorative jerseys.
- June 23: Willmar Fests Night with media partners Q102, KWLM, Big Country and The Train.
- June 25: Jennie-O Turkey Store Night with the Stingers.
- June 27: Marathon versus Baseball Night presented by Hansen Advertising. Runners will compete in a marathon during the game to answer the age-old question: What takes longer a baseball game or a marathon?
- June 28: Veteran’s Appreciation Night presented by J.D. Kreps Financial Group. Nine local veterans will be featured on trading cards. 1st 250 fans. Post-game fireworks.
- June 29: Dueling Duo Night presented by Miller Lite. Dueling Pianos will be entertaining throughout the game.
- June 30: Case IH 175th Anniversary Night. 1st 300 fans receive can koozies presented by Case IH.
- July 5: Ruff’s Wings and Sports Bar Night. 1st 250 fans will receive a gift card with various dollar amounts to be redeemed back at Ruff’s.
- July 6: Summertime St. Patty’s Night presented by Miller Lite. 1st 250 fans 21 years of age or older receive pint glasses. It’s ALL green…uniforms, bases and of course green beer!
- July 8: Margaritaville Night. Post-game fireworks presented by Fischer Laser Eye Center.
- July 9: Youth Baseball & Softball Night presented by Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway (BNSF).
- July 10: Brady Anderson Youth Jersey Giveaway Night presented by Cash Wise Foods. 1st 250 kids.
- July 12: Sold Out. Kandiyohi Power Cooperative Night.
- July 13: Barry Plush Doll Giveaway Night presented by Project Turnabout. 1st 100 kids.
- July 14: Pillowcase Giveaway Night presented by the Sleep Center of Willmar. 1st 250 kids.
- July 20: Blues Brothers Night. Live music before and during the game.
- July 21: Green Mill Restaurant Gift Card Night. 1st 250 fans will receive a gift card with various dollar amounts to be redeemed back at the Green Mill. 7th Annual Wine, Women and Baseball presented by Westside Liquor and media partners Q102, KWLM, Big Country and The Train.
- July 24: Salute to Agriculture Night presented by West Central Distribution and Central Counites Cooperative. All fans will receive sweet corn while supplies last.
- July 25: Stingers Trading Card Night presented by the Kandiyohi County Corn & Soybean Growers Association. 1st 500 fans.
- July 27: Stingers T-shirt Giveaway Night presented by Rambow. 1st 250 adults.
- July 28: Stadium Blanket Giveaway Night presented by ACMC. 1st 250 fans.
- July 31: Stingers Team Poster Night presented by Bernick’s Pepsi. 1st 500 fans.
- August 1: Families & Friends of Central Minnesota Christian School Night with the Stingers.
- August 5: 50’s Night featuring a pre-game Classic Car Show presented by Country Stop and A&W. Classic Cars will be on display in front of Bill Taunton Stadium with live music prior to the game. Post-game fireworks presented by Fischer Laser Eye Center.
- August 6: Fan Appreciation Night presented by Q102, KWLM, Big Country and The Train.
- August 25: Dueling Duo Piano Show at Bill Taunton Stadium presented by Bernick’s. Doors open at 7pm show begins at 8pm.
The 2017 season is presented by Marcus Construction. “From start to finish we’ll make your job easier and build a facility you will be proud of.”