First and second half sub-divisional winners will be eligible for the playoffs. In the event the second half sub-divisional winner also won the first half, the team in the sub-division with the highest overall winning percentage will also make the playoffs.
- The two playoff eligible teams in each sub-division will compete in a best of three Sub-Divisional Series. The team with the best overall winning percentage will have home field advantage. Based on travel scenarios defined by the League prior to each Season, the Sub-Divisional Series may be a 1-1-1 format (with home field advantage hosting Game 1 and Game 3) or a 1-2 format (with home field advantage hosting Game 2 and Game 3). If both of the best of three Sub-Divisional Series ends in two consecutive days, the resulting Divisional Championship Game will be played the following day.
- The two Sub-Divisional Series winners will play a one-game Divisional Championship Game. Home field advantage for the Divisional Championship Game will go to the team with the best overall record.
- The two Divisional Game winners will play a one-game League Championship. Home field advantage for the League Championship Game will go to the team with the best overall record.
- In the event a “travel day” is needed to accommodate play between the Divisional and League Championship Game, the President, in his sole discretion, may add in a travel day before the League Championship Game.
Section 5. A tie breaker will be used when teams have an identical winning percentage for a half season or a full season in determining home field advantage or sub-divisional champion for that respective half season. The tie breaker is as follows for determining a sub-divisional half season champion, sub-divisional home field advantage, or divisional home field advantage:
- Overall head to head winning percentage
- For sub-divisional standings and series: Winning percentage vs. the next highest placed team in sub-division, using overall record, and so on throughout sub-division. If a Team has not played against the highest placed Team in the sub-division or any subsequent Team, then the Team’s record versus the next highest placed Team will be used.
- For Divisional Championship Game: Winning percentage vs. teams in the other sub-division. And, if still tied; The team whose opponents in the other sub-division had the highest overall, combined winning percentage.
- Coin flip
The tie breaker is as follows for determining home field advantage in a League Championship Game: The winning division of the Northwoods League All-Star game.
Booking a rental car at Avis.com? Enter Avis Worldwide Discount (AWD) code G884300 when making your reservation to see if it qualifies for the Northwoods League discount.
Savings vary. Rules and restrictions may apply.