COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Plan
Turtle Creek Stadium
Traverse City, MI
The Traverse City Pit Spitters mission is to provide a fun and strong connection to our community. With everything we do, we strive to positively impact our fans, partners and the Northern Michigan region by providing industry leading affordable family friendly entertainment. To coincide with our mission, our goal is to keep players, staff, coaches, and especially fans safe while within the confines of Turtle Creek Stadium. The guidelines set forth below focus on safe workplace practices, social distancing measures, and increased cleaning protocols to provide the safest environment possible for everyone in the facility. These practices were developed through standards set by the Centers for Disease Control, MIOSHA, Michigan Department of Health and Human Services orders, and through guidance from the Grand Traverse County Health Department. The Traverse City Pit Spitters will continually monitor and adjust these guidelines as local, state, and federal mandates are updated.
The novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is a highly transmissible respiratory disease that can result in serious illness or death. COVID-19 is a new coronavirus for which there is not yet a vaccine. Current COVID-19 cases have reported a wide range of symptoms including:
- Shortness of Breath
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
COVID-19 is spread person to person through exposure to respiratory droplets from an infected person or from touching contaminated surfaces and then touching eyes, nose, or mouth.
Front Office Protocols
- Signage will be placed at front office door to advise guests to wait for screening. Anyone displaying symptoms or showing temperature above 100.4 degrees will be required to return home to recuperate.
- All employees are to self-monitor for covid-19 symptoms. If an employee is not feeling well and/or exhibiting symptoms, they will be asked to return home and obtain a COVID-19 test.
- All vendors and outside guests will be screened and logged upon entry to facility. Face coverings are required in indoor areas and when 6-foot social distancing is not possible.
- Enhanced cleaning and sanitization of workspace areas and frequently touched surfaces with an EPA-approved cleaning chemical with label claims against the coronavirus
- Additional cleaning supplies will be made available to employees to regularly sanitize work areas
- Implementation of basic infection prevention measures:
- Signage reminding staff to wash hands frequently
- Encourage workers to stay home if sick
- Enforce respiratory etiquette including covering coughs and sneezes
- Discourage workers from using other workers’ phones, desks, offices, or other workplace tools and equipment
- Staff is encouraged to maintain 6-foot social distance in the workplace setting per CDC guidelines. Face coverings are required when social distancing is not possible.
- Face coverings (covering mouth and nose) are required in shared spaces, including during in-person meetings and in restrooms, breakrooms, and hallways
- Employees are encouraged to avoid congregating in common areas such as breakrooms and restrooms
- Contact among workers, clients, and customers is to be minimized by replacing face-to-face meetings with virtual communications and implementing telework if feasible.
Positive Case Response Actions
- Staff members instructed to immediately report any symptoms of respiratory illness to management
- The Grand Traverse Health Department, coworkers, contractors, or suppliers who may have come into contact with the positive case will be notified within 24 hours of the positive test.
- In event of a positive COVID-19 case, the workplace will be immediately closed, and staff will be instructed to return home. The facility will remain closed until effectively deep cleaned and sanitized and contact tracing has been completed.
- Employees with confirmed or suspected confirmed case of COVID-19 may return to the workplace only after they have met current quarantine requirements.
- Signage posted at entrance to facility to remind staff and occupants to maintain 6-foot social distance while inside the facility. Fans not adhering to social distancing guidelines will be asked by event staff to adhere to policies.
- Unavailable seats in seating bowl will be secured with zip ties to ensure 6 ft. distance between groups
- Fans are encouraged to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms. If fans are experiencing symptoms or are running a fever above 100.4 degrees, the Pit Spitters encourage them to refrain from attending the event.
- Fan entrance areas will be altered and designed to accommodate social distancing with proper directional signage. Additional entry points will be added to accommodate efficient fan entrance.
- The Pit Spitters encourage fans to wear protective face coverings while in attendance, and when not in ticketed seat. Face coverings will be required in interior areas of the stadiums. Areas include:
- Ice Cream Room
- The Pit Shop
- The Pit Stop Bar by TC Whiskey Co.
- Craft Clubhouse presented by Shorts
- Suite Level hallways and Onyx Sports Suite
- Programs will be available for distribution on a table at stadium entrance.
- Regularly scheduled PA announcements during games encouraging fans to adhere to social distancing guidelines
- 6-foot social distancing reminders will be marked off in ticket lines, entry lines, concession areas, on concourse pathways, and bathrooms to aid fans in social distancing.
- Players will not be made available to fans for any autographs or player appearances until further notice. Players will not be able to throw out any baseballs to fans in attendance.
- Public Restrooms to be reduced in capacity and policed by ushers to ensure capacity limits are followed
- Stadium is to be sanitized prior to each event. This includes high traffic areas, concessions, restrooms, and other frequently touched surfaces.
- Public restrooms to be policed by ushers and sanitized on a regular basis
- Public drinking fountains will be removed from service.
- Hand Sanitizers will be stationed in each staffing work area
- Additional hand sanitizer stations and mounts will be installed in traffic areas around the ballpark
- Concession windows
- Guest Services/First aid
- Ice Cream Room
- Craft Clubhouse presented by Shorts Brewing
- The Pit Stop Bar by TC Whiskey Co.
- The Pit Shop
- Entrance Gate
- Directional arrows placed on concourse to alleviate close contact between fans
- Trash can lids altered to accommodate no touch use
- Fan exiting strategies to include additional exit points on 1st base line. Ushers, Security, and Turtle Creek Stadium will assist in fan exiting. The left field ramp gate will be utilized should crowd sizes deem necessary.
- If a fan is visibly sick or showing COVID-19, they will be instructed to visit First Aid/EMS for further evaluation.
- The Traverse City Pit Spitters reserve the right to ask fans visibly showing symptoms to leave the premises.
The Pit Shop
- All Pit shop staff will wear protective face coverings and gloves at all times.
- Signage posted on door requiring patrons to wear face coverings while in the store and to adhere to social distancing guidelines
- Pit shop capacity is strictly limited to 7 customers to accommodate social distancing
- Stanchions and floor markings are placed to ensure social distancing at checkout counter
- Hand Sanitizer and wipes will be made available to sanitize counter and point of sale
- Plexiglass sneezeguard will be placed to separate staff from customers at the Point of Sale
- Pit Shop customers are required to enter through concourse door and exit through door to stadium main entrance to promote one-way flow.
- The West Shore Bank ATM located in Pit Shop will be sanitized on a regular basis
- Staffing Inc. employees to be temperature screened prior to entering facility at designated staffing entrance.
- Staff members that have temperature above 100.4 degrees or are showing COVID-19 symptoms will be instructed to return home.
- Gameday staff members will be required to wear personal protective equipment including face covering for duration of shift
- Employees will be trained on proper wear and use of face coverings
- Fit snugly (but comfortably) against the face
- Must cover both nose and mouth
- Secured with ties or ear loops
- Employees trained on proper hygiene etiquette
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, or mouth
- Hand washing (20 seconds with soap and warm water)
- Hand sanitizer will be available for use at workstations
- Coughing/sneezing (cover nose and mouth, tissue/upper sleeve, wash hands after)
- Staff members will be required to adhere to social distancing guidelines in a workplace environment
- In the event an employee tests positive, contact tracing protocols will take place to determine close contacts, and current quarantine procedures will be enforced.
Player/Coach Safety/Team Personnel
- COVID-19 screening is to be completed daily and players are to be monitored by team trainer.
- Players and Coaches are required to sign NWL COVID-19 Warning and Waiver prior to any team activity
- Player locker rooms are to be closed for use except for bathrooms per GT Health Department recommendations.
- A remote training room with larger capacity will be utilized to accommodate social distancing. Players are to limit time in the training room to the fullest extent possible
- Designated early work times will be implemented for position players to limit congestion in batting cage areas.
- Buses to be sanitized per Great Lakes Motorcoach procedures prior to each road trip
- Players instructed to use same seat for duration of road trip to minimize exposure
- Players encouraged to wear face coverings where 6ft distancing is not possible
- Visiting teams are responsible for screening and monitoring their team and personnel upon arrival at Turtle Creek Stadium
- Visiting team bus drivers are required to remain distant from the general public while on premises.
- Any and all player-fan engagement is strictly prohibited for player and fan safety. Autograph lines, meet and greet events, and player appearances are currently forbidden.
- Player access to field is limited to ramp only to minimize contact with public. Home and visiting team personnel are to use back door of batting tunnel and go directly down ramp to field. The Pit Spitters kindly ask that fans refrain from the ramp area as teams are entering or exiting the field.
- Dugout and Bullpens to be marked off designating social distancing. Additional seating will be installed in foul territory to allow for player social distancing.
- If a player, coach, or team personnel member displays symptoms, he/she will be referred to team physician for testing and further examination.
- In the event a player or other team personnel tests positive for COVID-19, contact tracing will occur to determine close contacts and quarantine for required parties will be enforced.
Food and Beverage
- Following standard health codes should keep most food issues under control. COVID-19 is not a food-spread virus.
- Refills at concessions will not be available for 2021 season
- Gloves may be required not only for food handling, but for handling money and credit cards as well.
- Additional hand sanitizer will be provided for every cashier and at each workstation
- All condiments and plasticware to be pre-packaged and distributed with the food orders.
- Disposable packaging (beer cups, paper plates, etc) will be kept in totes or bags to prevent contamination from staff or fans.
- Concessions menus will be simplified menus to allow for worker distancing in concessions.
- Plexiglass barriers to be constructed and attached at concourse carts, grill areas, and other points of service.
- Select food carts on concourse will be eliminated to allow for proper social distancing on concourse
- Hawking and vending will be prohibited at this time.
- Suite servers will be instructed to take orders from a distance. Servers will take order and deliver food at suite entrances
- BBQ meal plans – Pit Spitters employees can still “build” plates for fans, but any buffet style serving to the public will be eliminated.
- Promotions team and staff will to be screened daily prior to entering the ballpark.
- On-field promotional events will be altered to comply with social distancing guidelines
- All promotional contestants will be COVID-19 screened prior to participating in any on-field activity
- Mascot appearances will be held in limited fashion. Fans are required to maintain social distancing from the mascot while in public areas.
- Host families will be instructed to self-screen and report results to Pit Spitters front office for the duration of time that players are staying with them.
- Families housing players are asked to follow recommended cleaning procedures set forth by the Centers of Disease Control to ensure a safe environment.
- These guidelines can be found at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/checklist-household-ready.html
- Seating capacity within the seating bowl will be reduced to comply with current state and local capacity guidelines.
- Pods for members of the same household will be sold in 2, 4 and 6 ticket packages laid out to accommodate for social distancing.
- Non-ticked seats will be secured with zip ties to ensure distancing between pods.
- Lawn seating areas remain as general admission, but fans are required to follow social distancing guidelines throughout that space.
- At entry, fans are asked to hold their ticket or phone while it is scanned. We ask that tickets do not be handed directly to the ticket taker.
- Patio tables and hospitality decks areas have table strategically placed to allow proper distancing between tables or groups.
- Box office counters and equipment will be regularly sanitized.
- Fans will be encouraged to purchase tickets online and have them digitally delivered to their phone to accommodate no-touch transactions.
- All tickets purchased at the box office will be sent to the purchaser’s phone via email as a digital ticket unless a physical ticket is requested.
- Fans looking to redeem undated tickets at the box office are encouraged to mail in requests. In person redemptions will require fans to follow no-touch procedures at box office windows.
- Group leaders and season ticket holders are encouraged to utilize digital ticket options.
- Gate times may be altered to allow for less congestion as fans enter the stadium.
- Suites are available to families or groups looking for a private space away from the crowd. However, capacities will be restricted to accommodate social distancing guidelines
Socially Distanced Layout
- Seats in white available for purchase
- Seats in orange will be secured to ensure 6 ft. distance between pods
Section 102 & 103
Section 104 & 105
Section 106 & 107
Section 108 & 109
Section 110 & 111