Five Finalists for Fond Du Lac Baseball Names
Help with advisory vote
FOND DU LAC, WI – There are five finalists for the nickname of the new Fond du Lac Northwoods League franchise and fans are invited to vote for their favorite to help choose the name.
There were over 800 names submitted from Fond du Lac baseball fans to the team’s website in the initial phase of selecting the nickname.
The five finalists – with an explanation of each name – are:
- Barn Owls: The Barn Owls pays tribute to our farming heritage and these majestic birds. Hoot, hoot, hoot for the home team!
- Dock Spiders: These enterprising critters call Lake Winnebago home and are known to be the gentle giants of the spider world. With their eight legs they sure can swing a lot of bats.
- Lake Flies: They’re ubiquitous, tenacious and travel in packs like our players. Kids will love “catching a fly” while rooting for the Lake Flies next May!
- Pipsqueaks: A nod to our famous fresh squeaking curds, Pipsqueaks celebrates our young up-and-coming players and the kind of fun minor league baseball is known for!
- Shantymen: A celebration of the world’s largest population of Lake Sturgeon, the Shantymen honors those who brave Lake Winnebago to catch this elusive beast.
Fans may vote for their favorite finalist at this link. Votes will be accepted through October 31. The team will award a Fond du Lac Baseball prize pack to one of the lucky voters.
“We were overwhelmed by the number of team name entries submitted by the Fond du Lac community,” said General Manager Ryan Moede. “We look forward to having our fans help us once again by voting for the official team name.”
The winning nickname will be announced in mid-November.
Fond du Lac baseball will begin its first season in May of 2017.
The Fond du Lac Baseball Club is a member of the finest developmental league for elite college baseball players, the Northwoods League. The 23-year-old summer collegiate league is the largest organized baseball league in the world with 20 teams, drawing significantly more fans, in a friendly ballpark experience, than any league of its kind. A valuable training ground for coaches, umpires and front office staff, more than 160 former Northwoods League players have advanced to Major League Baseball, including Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer (WAS) and MLB All-Stars Chris Sale (CWS), Jordan Zimmermann (DET), Curtis Granderson (NYM), Lucas Duda (NYM) and Ben Zobrist (CHC). All league games are viewable live via the Northwoods League portal. For more information, visit www.fonddulacbaseball.com or download the new Northwoods League Mobile App on the Apple App Store or on Google Play and set Fond du Lac as your favorite team.