Latest News

Published On: February 24th, 2020

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

February 24, 2020
Contact: Doug Gole, General Manager
doug@kingfishbaseball.com
414.581.3988

KENOSHA KINGFISH NAME MIKE PORCARO FIELD MANAGER
Racine Native and Former UW-Milwaukee Standout Takes the Reigns

Kenosha, Wis. – The Kenosha Kingfish announced today that Mike Porcaro will become the second Field Manager in team history.

“I am very honored to be the Manager of the Kenosha Kingfish,” Porcaro said. “I am extremely appreciative of this opportunity and look forward to putting together a great product on the field for the Kenosha community. I grew up 17 minutes from Simmons Field, and it’s such a privilege to now be taking the field as the Manager of the Kingfish.”

“I played 50 games on that field during my career. I remember what it looked like before the Kingfish came into town,” Porcaro said. “It’s exciting to be a part of this and to be doing it with such a great organization.”

Porcaro, born and raised in Racine, is currently Associate Head Baseball Coach/Recruiting Coordinator at MSOE. He is entering his 4th season as a member of the Raiders staff. He began his career as an Assistant Coach focusing on hitting and infielders, before being elevated to his current position. During his second season with the school, MSOE won a school record 25 games.

Porcaro has Northwoods League experience, having both played and coached in the league. Porcaro played two seasons for the Eau Claire Express (2013-14) and in 2015 he was a bench coach for the same franchise. Porcaro is a 2015 graduate of UW-Milwaukee, where he was an All-American and named Horizon League Player of the Year after his sophomore season. He also received honorable mention status on the Louisville Slugger AllAmerican squad, becoming the first Panther underclassman to ever receive the honor.

Porcaro was a journalism and mass communication major at UWM, making the Horizon League Academic Honor Roll all four years he played.

Before his stellar college career, Porcaro was a standout at Burlington High School where his family moved to shortly before his high school career.

At Burlington, Porcaro earned Second-Team All-Wisconsin Baseball Coaches Association honors, First-Team WBCA All-District honors and First-Team All-Southern Lakes Conference honors as a senior. He was also twice named FirstTeam All-County by the Racine Journal Times his last two years and to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel All-Area team his senior year.

“Mike has impressed people throughout his career,” explained Doug Gole, General Manager of the Kenosha Kingfish. “He came into this hiring process with a number of strong references in the baseball community. You sit down with him and you understand why. I think he will provide the kind of atmosphere in the clubhouse that the players will thrive in. Can’t wait to see what the Kingfish can do this summer under his leadership.”

Porcaro’s first season as the Kingfish manager starts Tuesday, May 26 at 6:05PM as the Kingfish take on the Kokomo Jackrabbits at Historic Simmons Field.

###

The Kenosha Kingfish are a member of the finest developmental league for elite college baseball players, the Northwoods League. The Northwoods League is the proven leader in the development of elite college baseball players. Having completed its’ 26 th season, the Northwoods League is the largest organized baseball league in the world with 22 teams, drawing significantly more fans, in a friendly ballpark experience, than any league of its kind. A valuable training ground for coaches, umpires and front office staff, over 230 Northwoods League players have advanced to Major League Baseball, including three-time All-Star and 2016 Roberto Clemente Award winner Curtis Granderson, three-time Cy Young Award winner and World Series Champion Max Scherzer (WAS), two-time World Series Champions Ben Zobrist (CHC) and Brandon Crawford (SFG) and World Series Champion Chris Sale (BOS). As well as 2019 Rookie of the Year and Home Run Derby Champion Pete Alonso (NYM) and MLB All-Star Jordan Zimmermann (DET). All league games are viewable live via the Northwoods League website. All league games are viewable live via the Northwoods League portal. For more information, visit kingfishbaseball.com or download the new Northwoods League Mobile App on the Apple App Store or on Google Play and set the Kingfish as your favorite team