Mallards Bullpen Brings Home Third In A Row
The Madison Mallards (27-8) won their third game in a row 4-2 over the Rafters (15-19) behind six innings of one run relief work. The first place Mallards never trailed and outhit the Rafters 11-6.
With the Mallards up 3-1 in the bottom of the third inning, starting pitcher Brian Morrell (Notre Dame) worked out of a bases loaded jam to preserve Madison’s two run lead. A fine defensive play by shortstop Trevor Schwecke (UW Milwaukee) ranging into the hole between short and third ended the scoring threat. From there, a trio of Mallards relievers – Turner French (St. Johns), Carson Ragsdale (South Florida), and Jonah Smith (Creighton) – held the Rafters in check the rest of the night.
- Turner French spun two and a third innings of hitless ball with four strikeouts to earn the win
- Carson Ragsdale kept Wisconsin Rapids off the scoreboard in the sixth and seventh innings
- Jonah Smith left Rafters in scoring position in both the eighth and ninth innings to close the door and gain his second save
- David Vinsky (Northwood) had two hits, the go-ahead RBI, and scored two runs
- Jesse Forestell (Western Michigan) had a single and an RBI double
The Mallards return home for a three-game home stand at Warner Park. Tuesday night at 6:05 pm they take on the Rafters. Madison will face off for two games against Battle Creek on the July 4th holiday at 1:05 pm, and Thursday July 5 at 6:05 pm. Bring the family for great holiday promotions at each game, including a post-game Run Forrest Run performance sponsored by MG&E Tuesday night; Olympic Gold Medalist Matt Hamilton bobblehead giveaway Wednesday afternoon; and a Pat McCurdy post-game performance Thursday evening presented by Endres Manufacturing. There will also be fireworks Tuesday night sponsored by LSM Chiropractic, and more fireworks Thursday night brought to Mallards fans by Pepsi.