The Madison Mallards (30-15, 2-7) knocked off the Lakeshore Chinooks (23-21, 7-2) Thursday night behind an offensive barrage of 10 runs and 13 hits. Seven of the Mallards hits went for extra bases, including two triples. Ryan Kutt (Illinois) earned the win with five innings of five-hit, two-run pitching.
The Mallards held a 3-0 lead with two outs and the bases loaded in the top of the second. Tyler Plantier (Richmond) then blasted a bases-clearing three-run triple to deep centerfield which gave the Mallards a 6-0 advantage they would never relinquish. Madison strung together three doubles in the fourth to produce a 9-2 lead.
The Chinooks provided some drama with a three-run seventh inning to cut Madison’s lead to 9-5. Turner French (St. Johns) came in to get the last two outs of the seventh to hold the lead, and Leon Hunter (North Carolina A&T) slammed the door shut, by stranding two men on second and third in the eighth inning and pitching a 1-2-3 ninth.
- Garrett Kueber (Austin Peay) had three hits, scored two runs, and crushed a double to right field
- Trevor Schwecke (UW Milwaukee) added two doubles, scored three runs, reached base in all five of his plate appearances, and made several slick backhanded picks at the hot corner
- David Vinsky (Northwood) produced two hits including a double and plated two RBIs
- Drew Ober (UNC Charlotte) contributed two hits and a sliding catch in the right centerfield gap to rob a Chinook hitter of extra bases
- Jesse Forestell (Western Michigan) drove in two runs with a triple and a long sacrifice fly
The Mallards return home for a three game homestand starting Friday night at 7:05 pm against Lakeshore, followed by a Saturday 6:05 pm game against Wisconsin, and a 1:05 pm Sunday matinee also against the Woodchucks. The Payroll Company will help fans celebrate 25 years of The Sandlot Friday night, along with appearances by Bernie Brewer and former Milwaukee Brewer Ben Oglivie. Hy-vee will present postgame fireworks after Saturday night’s game, along with Wisconsin State Fair night. Sunday’s game will feature The Great Dane Troll Maynard bobblehead giveaway, Grandparents Appreciation Day presented by Ho-Chunk Gaming, and an alternate jersey auction and Apple A Day giveaway sponsored by SSM Health.