Mallards Blow Chinooks Out of the Water
Mallards Blow Chinooks Out of the Water
Mallards tally 16 hits in 15-5 rout of Chinooks
Madison, Wis. – David Vinsky (Northwood) knocked in five runs while Jake Randa (NW Florida State) hit a pair of bombs in the Madison Mallards (16-11, 44-19) 15-5 win over the Lakeshore Chinooks (11-16, 27-35) on Thursday night at Warner Park. The Mallards tallied 16 hits and crushed four home runs, providing Mallards starter Sean Leland (Illinois) with plenty of run support. Madison led 9-2 when Leland departed after six efficient innings.
After Randa opened the scoring with a solo shot in the first inning, the Mallards added on to their lead in the third. After a Jesse Forestell (Western Michigan) leadoff single, Trevor Boone(Oklahoma State) crushed a towering two-run bomb to extend the lead to three runs. Later in the inning, following a Trevor Schwecke (UW-Milwaukee) base hit, David Vinsky launched another two-run shot. Vinsky’s home run gave the Mallards an early 5-0 lead and the Malllards first baseman later picked up three more RBIs on a three-run double in the fifth inning.
While the Mallards bats were on fire, Sean Leland was smoothly working through the Chinooks. Leland held the Chinooks to just one hit through the game’s first four frames, retiring ten straight at one point. The Chinooks first tally came on a solo shot in the fifth but Leland had displayed complete control of the ballgame. Leland exited after six innings and allowed only two runs on four hits and struck out two.
- Right fielder Jake Randa finished the night 3-for-4 with three RBI and a walk after adding a two run bomb in the bottom of the seventh inning. Randa now has seven home runs this season and has totaled 46 RBI.
- First baseman David Vinsky was 2-for-5 at the dish with five RBI in the Mallards victory. Vinsky collected his seventh home run of the summer and now has 46 RBI. Vinsky extended his hitting streak to 13 games with the big night at the plate.
- Sean Leland earned his fourth quality start and fourth win of the season in the Mallards blowout win, allowing only five batters to reach over his 6.0 innings of work.
- Second baseman Trevor Schwecke went 3-for-3 and scored three runs, posting his second three-hit game this week
- Trevor Boone launched his third home run of the summer and extended his hitting streak to six ballgames.
- Reliever Tanner Rogen (Oral Roberts) worked a pair of scoreless innings to seal the Mallards blowout victory, holding the Chinooks to one hit between the eighth and ninth innings.
The Mallards head to Lakeshore tomorrow looking for a series sweep at 6:35 PM at Kapco Park. The Mallards return home for a matchup on Saturday with the Kenosha Kingfish at 6:05 PM. The game will feature Star Wars Night with a custom jersey auction by Dentistry for Madison: Dr. Jay Hazen benefiting DAIS. Saturday night also features Stoddard’s Country Grove Market Meat Raffle and Brat Appreciation Night. For tickets and more information visit mallardsbaseball.com. Make sure to catch every Mallards game on The Zone, 1670 AM and 96.7 FM.
The Madison Mallards are a member of the finest developmental league for elite college baseball players, the Northwoods League. Now in its 25th anniversary season, the Northwoods League is the largest organized baseball league in the world with 20 teams, drawing significantly more fans, in a friendly ballpark experience, than any league of its kind. A valuable training ground for coaches, umpires and front office staff, 200 former Northwoods League players have advanced to Major League Baseball, including three-time Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer (WAS), two-time World Series Champions Ben Zobrist (CHC) and Brandon Crawford (SFG) and MLB All-Stars Chris Sale (BOS), Jordan Zimmermann (DET) and Curtis Granderson (TOR). All league games are viewable live via the Northwoods League portal. For more information, visit www.mallardsbaseball.com or download the new Northwoods League Mobile App on the Apple App Store or on Google Play and set the Mallards as your favorite team.