Mallards Enter Postseason Play Tonight
Mallards Enter Postseason Play Tonight
After record season, Mallards begin 2018 NWL Playoffs
Madison, Wis. – The Madison Mallards (19-15, 47-23) have finalized a record-breaking regular season and now move to the 2018 Northwoods League Playoffs. The Mallards have led the league in a number of categories and have seen multiple individuals put together fantastic summer seasons. Tonight, Madison takes on the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders (18-18, 39-31) at Warner Park at 7:05 PM in the first round of the NWL Playoffs. The winner will move on to play in the South Division championship tomorrow night.
To purchase playoff tickets, click here
Before tonight’s game, here is a look back at what has made the 2018 special for the Madison Mallards.
- The Mallards set a franchise record with 49 wins, finishing the regular season with a 49-23 overall record. The Mallards were 28-8 in the season’s first half, setting a team record for wins in a half.
- The Mallards have led the Northwoods League in multiple categories all summer. The Mallards posted the NWL’s best team batting average (.281), hits (709), total bases (1022) and home runs (55).
- The Mallards pitching staff has also been one of the best in the league, posting a NWL-leading 25 saves while holding a 3.92 ERA and keeping opponents to a .255 clip at the plate.
- The Mallards had a league-high eight players named to the 2018 NWL All-Star game in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Tyler Plantier (Richmond), David Vinsky (Northwood), Jake Randa (NW Florida State), Trevor Schwecke (UW-Milwaukee), Drew Campbell (Louisville), Trace Norkus (North Florida), Carson Ragsdale (South Florida) and Dalton Wiggins (Marietta) all represented the Mallards in the gathering of the league’s best.
- Mallards third baseman Tyler Plantier finished tied for second in the NWL with 14 home runs. Plantier played in 65 regular season games and totaled 51 RBI, 39 walks and a .412 on base percentage.
- The Mallards finished with a trio of players who posted 50 RBI or more as Jake Randa (53), David Vinsky (50), and Tyler Plantier (51) were all consistent run producers in the middle of the batting order.
- The Madison bullpen was phenomenal this season as a number of relievers had impressive summers. Mallards closer Trace Norkus recorded a league-high 14 saves and posted a 2.17 ERA and a 3-3 record through 25 appearances. Jonah Smith (Creighton), Leon Hunter (North Carolina A&T), Nicholes Morales (San Jose State) and Carson Ragsdale all were key components of the Madison bullpen this summer.
- The Mallards put together an impressive 12-game winning streak during the first half, their longest winning streak in team history.
Tonight’s playoff game begins at 7:05 PM and gates will open at 5:30. The Mallards host the Dock Spiders after sweeping a two-game set against them to finish the season. For tickets and more information visit mallardsbaseball.com. Make sure to catch every Mallards game game on The Zone, 1670 AM and 96.7 FM.
The Madison Mallards are a member of the finest developmental league for elite college baseball players, the Northwoods League. Now in its 25th anniversary season, the Northwoods League is the largest organized baseball league in the world with 20 teams, drawing significantly more fans, in a friendly ballpark experience, than any league of its kind. A valuable training ground for coaches, umpires and front office staff, 200 former Northwoods League players have advanced to Major League Baseball, including three-time Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer (WAS), two-time World Series Champions Ben Zobrist (CHC) and Brandon Crawford (SFG) and MLB All-Stars Chris Sale (BOS), Jordan Zimmermann (DET) and Curtis Granderson (TOR). All league games are viewable live via the Northwoods League portal. For more information, visit www.mallardsbaseball.com or download the new Northwoods League Mobile App on the Apple App Store or on Google Play and set the Mallards as your favorite team.