Looking Back: Duluth Manager Terry Collins Named as New York Mets Manager
Terry Collins is the first and only Northwoods League manager to later become a manager at the Major League level. Collins, who formerly was the Duluth Huskies’ manager, was named the New York Mets manager on November 23, 2010. The Michigan native was familiar with the Mets organization as he spent the 2010 season as their Minor League Field Coordinator. Collins joined the Duluth Huskies midway through the 2009 season after coaching the Chinese national team in the 2009 World Baseball Classic. During his tenure with the Huskies he posted a 5-9 record, but his impact far exceeded the win/loss record. Collins passed on his experiences within professional baseball while also improving the Huskies’ players.
Before coming to Duluth, Collins was known for his fiery attitude and propensity to win at all costs. However, Duluth player’s felt that he was truly a ‘teacher of the game’.
The former Pittsburgh Pirates draft pick had a 10-year playing career in the Pirates and Dodgers organizations. Although he never made it into the Major Leagues, his coaching career found him bouncing throughout Minor and Major League baseball. The former Eastern Michigan star has 995 career managerial wins.
Did you Know?
- There is no shortage of MLB experience in Northwoods League dugouts. Current coaches and managers with MLB playing or coaching experience include:
- Duffy Dyer, Manager | Kenosha
- John Halama, Pitching Coach | Wisconsin Rapids
- Al Newman, Manager | St. Cloud
- Stu Pederson, Hitting Coach | La Crosse
- Chris Sabo, Manager | Green Bay
- Donnie Scott, Manager | Madison
- Collins managed more games for the Mets (1134) than any other manager in team history. Just behind him are Davey Johnson (1012 games from 1984-1990) and Bobby Valentine (1003 games from 1996-2002).
- Collins’ managerial career includes:
- Albuquerque Dukes – Triple-A – Dodgers
- Buffalo Bisons – Triple-A – Pirates
- Houston Astros – MLB
- Anaheim Angels – MLB
- Orix Buffaloes – Pacific League – Japan
- Chinese National Team – World Baseball Classic
- Duluth Huskies – Northwoods League
- New York Mets – MLB
Visit our 25th Season Celebration page to read about other memorable moments previously released.