Published On: March 29th, 2023

Dylan Ashcraft, Duluth Huskies Staff Writer

dylanashcraft@cityautoglass.com

Texas A&M Teammates Heading to Duluth for 20th Huskies Season

Kelly convinced his teammate that playing NWL baseball in Duluth was the right move in 2023.

Duluth, Minn.- After their collegiate spring season concludes, Lucas Kelly and Kasen Wells will pack their bags and head north, as the SEC teammates have agreed to play summer ball with the Duluth Huskies. Kelly, a freshman from San Francisco, California will come in as an infielder and right-handed pitcher, while fellow freshman Wells, an outfielder, hails from San Antonio, Texas. Duluth fans can thank Lucas for the package deal, as he sold the Huskies to his teammate. “My boy Lucas Kelly recruited me to come be a part of the greatest summer team known to man,” Wells said.

Kelly, the second-ranked third baseman in California in 2022, played high school ball for Sacred Heart Cathedral, where he recorded 121 hits, 83 RBI’s, and 90 runs as a batter, according to maxpreps.com Meanwhile in San Antonio, future teammate Wells was a four-year letter winner at Smithson Valley High. 12thman.com notes how Kasen was awarded All-elite state after knocking out eight homeruns, nine triples, and 15 doubles off of a .570 batting average during his senior season with the program. “I’m looking forward to the new places to play,” Wells said. “I’ve never played up north, and I’m looking forward to playing with some new guys and enjoying the game we all love.”

Welcome to Duluth, gentlemen! We are excited to have you for the 20th season of Huskies baseball!

###

The Northwoods League is the proven leader in the development of elite college baseball players. Entering its’ 30th season, the Northwoods League is the largest organized baseball league in the world with 24 teams, drawing significantly more fans, in a friendly ballpark experience, than any league of its kind. A valuable training ground for coaches, umpires, and front office staff, over 310 Northwoods League players have advanced to Major League Baseball, including three-time All-Star and 2016 Roberto Clemente Award winner Curtis Granderson, three-time Cy Young Award winner and World Series Champion Max Scherzer (NYM), two-time World Series Champions Ben Zobrist and Brandon Crawford (SFG) and World Series Champion Chris Sale (BOS). As well as 2019 Rookie of the Year and 2019/2021 Home Run Derby Champion Pete Alonso (NYM) and 2021 All-Star, MLB Gold Glove winner and 2019 Second Team All-MLB shortstop Marcus Semien (TEX). All league games are viewable live via the Northwoods League website at watchnwl.com and on ESPN+. For more information, visit www.northwoodsleague.com or download the Northwoods League Mobile App on the Apple App Store or on Google Play.

Latest News