Growlers begin second half against Mallards
Kalamazoo, Mich. — The Growlers begin the second half of the Northwoods League season the same way they began the first half, on the road against the Madison Mallards. The Growlers lead the league in basically every offensive category and will look to get the pitching on track to make a run at a playoff spot.
Who: Kalamazoo Growlers (0-0) at Madison Mallards (0-0)
When: Wednesday, July 2 at 7:05 p.m. and Thursday July 3 at 7:05 p.m.
Where: Warner Park
Watch on kalamzoogrowlers.com under the Watch Live section: http://northwoodsleague.com/kalamazoo-growlers/video/watch-games-live/
Twitter: Follow @kzoogrowlers for updates
PROBABLE STARTERS (Growlers starter in italics)
Wednesday, July 2: LHP Luke Bolka (0-2, 10.04 ERA) vs. Kirby Snead (1-0, 2.45 ERA)
Luke Bolka (East Carolina) in his last start earned a no decision going four innings, allowing just two runs on four hits. Bolka has kept opponents at a steady .287 batting average while striking out 13 on the season. The crafty lefty will make his fourth start on the road this season.
Thursday, July 3: RHP Nick Wernke (0-3, 5.55 ERA) vs. Tyler Buffett (0-0, 3.85 ERA)
This will be the second time that Wernke has faced the Madison Mallards as he started the second game of a double-header against the Mallards. Wernke went 2.2 innings giving up just one run on five hits while striking out two in the outing. Wernke’s had his best outing of the season in his last outing going five innings, giving up just two runs on three hits, while striking out nine. This will be his fifth start on the road this season.
Lineups will be posted to Facebook and Twitter prior to first pitch
LAST TIME THEY MET
All-time series: 1-1
Wednesday, May 28: Madison 6, Kalamazoo 2
Wednesday, May 28: Kalamazoo 6, Madison, 5
NORTHWOODS LEAGUE RANKINGS
• Batting average: .278 (1st)
• Runs scored: 191 (2nd)
• Hits: 337 (1st)
• Triples: (1st)
• Home Runs: 19 (6th)
• RBIs: 169 (1st)
• ERA: 5.38 (16th)
• Hits: 326 (15th)
• Walks: 187 (18th)
• Strikeouts: 224 (13th)
• Innings Pitched: 306.0 (9th)
• The Growlers finished the first half of the season 8th in the south division standings, finishing with a record of 13-22.
• Troy Montgomery (Ohio State) hopes to stay hot during the second half of the season as he is carrying a Northwood’s League leading .389 batting average. Montgomery is also tied for the league lead in triples with three.
• Ryan Smoyer (Notre Dame) has won four straight games on the mound and now is tied for the Northwoods League lead with four wins. He also posts a 2.63 ERA, which is the 12th lowest in the league.
• Bryce Harman has acclimated himself nicely into the Growlers line-up as he is entering the second half of the season with a seven-game hitting streak. Five of the seven games, Harman have had at least two hits.
• The Madison Mallards ended the first half of their season on a two-game win streak and finished third in the south division at 18-15. Madison ranked 13th in batting average (.251) and 5th in team ERA (3.67).
NORTHWOODS LEAGUE HONORS
Player of the Night
• June 1: Nick Yarnall (3-4, HR, 3 R, BB)
• June 15: Jared Kujawa (3-4, RBI, R)
• June 30: Jared Kujawa (3-5, HR, 5 RBI’s)
The Growlers to Homer Stryker Field on July 4 to face the Lakeshore Chinooks. On that night, the Growlers will have the ONLY fireworks show in Kalamazoo. The Growlers will then enjoy the friendly confines of Homer Stryker Field for four straight games with two against the Lakeshore Chinooks and then will play the Madison Mallards once again. Read more about this incredible night that the Growlers are hosting on July 4th here: http://northwoodsleague.com/kalamazoo-growlers/2014/07/01/3907/