Kalamazoo, Mich. – In an offensive onslaught, the Kalamazoo Growlers took down the Rockford Rivets on Friday night, 12-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
– In a pitching matchup that featured two starters getting their first outings of the summer, Growlers returner Travis Densmore would prevail with arguably the best outing of his Growlers career throwing five scoreless innings giving up three hits while striking out six.
– Kalamazoo would strike first as Virginia Cavalier Henry Godbout hit his first home run of the season, skying a two-run shot just over the left center wall.
– Following an RBI single from Colin Blanchard, Banks Tolley, pinch hitting for Tyler Albright in the sixth, destroyed his team-lead-ing fourth home run of the season. The three run shot left the ballpark and just barely stayed fair down the left field line to make it 7-0 Growlers.
– The Rivets tried to climb back with a two-out rally in the seventh. Started by a double from Khalil Walker, Rockford would score three runs on an RBI double from Braden Duhon and two-RBI single from Dustin Allen.
– The Growlers would score three runs in the seventh on a pair of RBI singles from Joey Winters and Gabe Springer before adding a pair on an RBI double from Will Furniss that was just a mere two feet from leaving the yard.
– Carson Byers and Nolan Milliman, two recent additions to the bullpen, would shut down the final two frames, giving the Growlers the split at home.
Following the four game home stand, Kalamazoo hits the road for an eight-game road trip, starting tomorrow in Kenosha as the Growlers take on the Kingfish.