Kalamazoo, Mich- The Kalamazoo Growlers end their four-game road trip against a familiar opponent in the Kenosha Kingfish. This will be the third series already between the two teams this season with the recent series being just four days ago in Kalamazoo.
Who: Kalamazoo Growlers (12-19) at Kenosha Kingfish (14-15)
When: Saturday, June 28 at 8:05 p.m. and Sunday, June 29 at 7:05 p.m.
Where: Simmons Field
Watch on kalamzoogrowlers.com under the Watch Live section: http://northwoodsleague.com/kalamazoo-growlers/video/watch-games-live/
Twitter: Follow @kzoogrowlers for updates
Facebook: Updates throughout the game for the ultimate fan experience.
Thursday, June 26: LHP Dillon Haviland (2-3, 5.66 ERA) vs. Zach Morgenstern (1-2. 4.35 ERA)
In two out of his three starts this season for the Growlers, Haviland has registered at least five innings and struck out five. Haviland’s last win came against the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters back on June 10, as he went seven innings, allowing just one run on seven hits and struck out five.
Friday, June 27: RHP Ryan Colegate (1-2, 5.40 ERA) vs. TBA
In his six appearances this season, Colegate opponents have just not been able to hit off of him. Opponents’ batting average is an amazing. 135 when they go against Colegate. Colegate has history with Kenosha as in his last start against them; he went 4.1 innings, allowing five runs on seven hits, while striking out two. This will only be Colegate’s second road start of the season.
Lineups will be posted to Facebook and Twitter prior to first pitch
LAST TIME THEY MET
All-time series- 1-3
Tuesday, June 24: Kenosha 12, Kalamazoo 5
Wednesday June 25: Kalamazoo 9, Kenosha 4
NORTHWOODS LEAGUE RANKINGS
- Batting average- .272 (2nd)
- Runs scored- 166 (3rd)
- Hits- 291 (2nd)
- Triples – 11 (1st)
- Home Runs – 16 (6th)
- RBI’s – 147(1st)
- Earned Runs – 168 (18th)
- Hits – 291 (5th)
- Walks – 155 (1st)
- Strikeouts – 197 (13th)
- Innings Pitched – 270.2 (9th)
- In the Growlers last outing against Kenosha on June 25th, RHP Ryan Smoyer (Notre Dame) was fantastic going 7.1 innings, allowing just two earned runs on six hits and striking out three to improve his record to 3-0. The Growlers also got to the Kenosha Kingfish ace Rico Garcia for nine hits and seven earned runs.
- Ryan Bull (Notre Dame)seems to like playing the Kenosha Kingfish as in the four games they have played against each other, Bull is hitting a ridiculous, .571 (8-for-14). He has also registered at least three hits in two of the four games.
- Troy Montgomery (Ohio State) has been having himself a very fine road trip, as he now leads the Growlers with an amazing .380 average. Montgomery is also second on the team in RBI’s with 16.
- The Growlers, who are mathematically eliminated from the first half playoff spot in the Northwoods League, are looking to play spoiler with the Kingfish sitting just six games back.
- Newly acquired infielder, Bryce Harman (East Carolina) has transitioned nicely into the Growler line-up, hitting in every game he has played in for the Growlers this season. In three of the four games, he has had at least two hits.
NORTHWOODS LEAGUE HONORS
-Player of the Night
- June 1- Nick Yarnall (3-4, HR, 3 R, BB)
- June 15- Jared Kujawa (3-4, RBI, R)
The Growlers will return home on June 30, for a home and home series against the rival Battle Creek Bombers. The first game will begin at noon, where it is Skip Work Day at the ballpark. The night will conclude as the Growlers will travel cross town and face the Bombers in Battle Creek.
Fourth of July is also right around the corner and the Growlers will have the ONLY Fireworks show in Kalamazoo. Read more about this incredible night here: http://northwoodsleague.com/kalamazoo-growlers/2014/06/27/3907/