Growlers set to ignite rivalry against the Bombers. Series Preview (July 19-20).
Who: Kalamazoo Growlers (6-10) at Battle Creek Bombers (7-10)
When: Saturday, July 19 at 7:05 p.m. and Sunday, July 20 at 5:05 p.m.
Where: C.O. Brown Stadium (Saturday), Homer Stryker Field (Sunday)
Watch on kalamzoogrowlers.com under the Watch Live section: http://northwoodsleague.com/kalamazoo-growlers/video/watch-games-live/
Twitter: Follow @kzoogrowlers for updates:
Facebook: Updates throughout the game
PROBABLE STARTERS (Growlers starter in italics)
Game 1: RHP Ryan Smoyer (5-0, 2.61 ERA) vs. TBA
All-Star Ryan Smoyer (Notre Dame) will be making his case for the starting job in Tuesday’s All-Star game against the Battle Creek Bombers tonight. The all-star has faced the rival Battle Creek before were he went seven innings, surrendering just six hits, giving up two runs and striking out four.
Game 2: TBA vs. RHP Shane Bryant (2-2, 2.97 ERA)
Bryant (Purdue) has split time out of the bullpen and in the starting rotation this year for the Growlers. Bryant is very familiar with the Bombers as it will be his third time facing them this year. In the two outings, Bryant has pitched 7.1 innings, allowing just six hits and giving up three runs while striking out three.
LAST TIME THEY MET
All-time series: 3-1
June 30 (Game 1 DH): Kalamazoo 10, Battle Creek 3
June 30 (Game 2 DH): Battle Creek 5, Kalamazoo 4 (F/11)
NORTHWOODS LEAGUE RANKINGS
• Batting average: .270 (4th)
• Runs scored: 236 (8th)
• Hits: 477 (4th)
• Triples: 16 (1st)
• Home Runs: 26 (7th)
• RBIs: 235 (6th)
• ERA: 5.59 (18th)
• Hits: 489 (15th)
• Walks: 295 (18th)
• Strikeouts: 295 (15th)
• Innings Pitched: 449.0 (9th)
• The Growlers in their inaugural season will be sending four to Mequon, Wisconsin to compete in the 2014 All-Star game. Jared Kujawa (Western Michigan), Troy Montgomery (Ohio State), Ryan Smoyer (Notre Dame) and Ryan Lidge (Notre Dame) have all been selected
• Jared Kujawa (Western Michigan) will be part of the all-star festivities as he will be competing in the 2014 Home Run Derby.
• Troy Montgomery in the four games against the Bombers is hitting a staggering .462 with five RBI’s and five runs scored.
• As a team the Growlers are hitting .340 with 18 extra base hits against the Bombers
• The Growlers pitching staff loves to see the Bombers as they have struck out 24 Bombers hitters. Battle Creek is hitting a dismal .216 against the Growlers.
• The Growlers are coming off a series sweep against the La Crosse Loggers.
NORTHWOODS LEAGUE HONORS
Player of the Night
• June 1: Nick Yarnall (3-4, HR, 3 R, BB)
• June 15: Jared Kujawa (3-4, RBI, R)
• June 30: Jared Kujawa (3-5, HR, 5 RBI’s)
The Growlers will be off for three days due to the All-Star break before they are back at home against the Wisconsin Woodchucks on Thursday, July 24th. It will be the national acclaimed Salute to Selfie Night where the Growlers will be wearing selfie filled jerseys that will be auctioned off at the end of the game. Learn more about all of the great promotions at Homer Stryker Field:http://northwoodsleague.com/kalamazoo-growlers/promotions-schedule/