Growlers set to square off with Bombers
Kalamazoo, Mich. — The Kalamazoo Growlers return home after a four-game road swing in Wisconsin for a day-night, home-road doubleheader against the rival Battle Creek Bombers.
Who: Kalamazoo Growlers (12-21) at Battle Creek Bombers (15-18)
When: Monday, June 30 at 12:00 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
Where: First game at Homer Stryker Field, second game at C.O. Brown Stadium
Watch on kalamzoogrowlers.com under the Watch Live section: http://northwoodsleague.com/kalamazoo-growlers/video/watch-games-live/
Twitter: Follow @kzoogrowlers for updates
Facebook: Updates throughout the game
PROBABLE STARTERS (Growlers starter in italics)
Game 1: Ryan Smoyer (3-0, 2.64 ERA) vs. Austen Thrailkill (0-2. 4.22 ERA)
Smoyer began the season coming out of the Growlers' bullpen, but he has transitioned quite nicely to a starting role. He has earned a win in his last three starts. Smoyer works quickly and throws straight over-the-top, looking to generate ground balls. He also has a 12-to-6 curveball he can throw in any count.
Game 2: Ryan Colegate (1-2, 5.40 ERA) vs. Andrew Mitchell (1-3, 3.17)
Colegate has struggled mightily with his control this year. He has walked 13 hitters and hit eight in 21 2/3 innings this season, which has contributed to his 5.40 ERA. But he has been very successful at limiting hard contact: The tall, lanky right-hander throws on a heavy downward plane and generates ample ground balls when he can locate. He has limited hitters to a .218 average this year.
LAST TIME THEY MET
All-time series: 2-0
Thursday, May 29: Kalamazoo 5, Battle Creek 1
Friday, May 30: Kalamazoo 13, Battle Creek 3
NORTHWOODS LEAGUE RANKINGS
- Batting average: .276 (2nd)
- Runs scored: 177 (2nd)
- Hits: 314 (1st)
- Triples: 11 (1st)
- Home Runs: 17 (6th)
- RBIs: 155 (1st)
- ERA: 5.53 (16th)
- Hits: 306 (15th)
- Walks: 173 (18th)
- Strikeouts: 206 (14th)
- Innings Pitched: 286.2 (9th)
- Troy Montgomery (Ohio State) has slingshotted himself into the first place in the league in batting average. The speedy center fielder had 12 hits on the Growlers' most recent four-game road trip, which boosted his average to .386. Montgomery hasn't just been a slap hitter, either, as his on base plus slugging percentage is an otherworldly 1.039. He is also a defensive threat in center with great range and a strong, accurate arm.
- Ryan Lidge (Notre Dame) had a ridiculous road trip at the plate, as he went 9-for-15 and slugged a home run against the Wisconsin Woodchucks. Lidge has long been extremely adept at controlling opposing teams' running games, but his .358 average makes him a valuable offensive tool as well.
- Newly acquired infielder Bryce Harman (East Carolina) has transitioned nicely into the Growler lineup, hitting in every game he has played in for the Growlers this season. Five of his six games have been multi-hit efforts.
NORTHWOODS LEAGUE HONORS
Player of the Night
- June 1: Nick Yarnall (3-4, HR, 3 R, BB)
- June 15: Jared Kujawa (3-4, RBI, R)
The Growlers enjoy a rare off day on July 1 before heading to Madison, Wis. for two games against the Madison Mallards. They return to Homer Stryker Field on July 4 to face the Lakeshore Chinooks. On that night, the Growlers will have the ONLY fireworks show in Kalamazoo. Read more about this incredible night here: http://northwoodsleague.com/kalamazoo-growlers/2014/06/27/3907/