Kokomo, Ind. – For the seventh time this season and third consecutive game at Kokomo Municipal Stadium, the Growlers took down the Jackrabbits, winning 9-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
– Kalamazoo struck first plating a run in the second on an RBI groundout from Anthony Stephan following a single, an E5 and a sac bunt. Kokomo would answer with one of their own in the third off of a sac fly from Tyler Ganus.
– Jerad Berkenpas, celebrating his 22nd birthday, made his first start of the 2023 season following 15 appearances out of the bullpen and was solid across his first four innings of work. In the spot-start, Berkenpas went 5.1 IP giving up four runs on eight hits while striking out two.
– Taking the lead back, K-Zoo scored two in the fifth off of an RBI single from Gavin Lewis Jr and a bunted ball in front of the mound that got away from Kokomo starter Reese Lueck, giving the Growlers a 3-1 lead.
– Berkenpas, the second-year right-hander kept Kokomo at bay for the first five innings before two doubles and a single chased him from the game in the sixth. Noah Christienson brought home a pair of runs on a double down the left field line to tie the game.
-Kalamazoo would then open the floodgates in the seventh and eighth, scoring six runs with five coming home off the bat of Banks Tolley. Tolley’s second double in two innings brought home both in the sixth before a fly ball was lost in the sky in the eighth, resulting in a bases-clearing single.
– Aaron Roberston came in for the final two innings, shutting it down for the Growlers to hold onto a game one win.