Kalamazoo, Mich. – In their first walk off win of the 2023 season, the Kalamazoo Growlers (38-20) beat the Kenosha Kingfish (26-34) 5-4 in 10 innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
– Starting pitching would be the story of the first three innings for the Growlers and Kingfish with Growlers Tanner Ware striking out five and giving up just one run on an error while Kingfish starter Reed Gannon bouncing around two jams to strand four runners.
– The fourth inning would provide almost all the offense Sunday’s matinee would have. In the top of the inning, Kenosha would score three runs on four base hits, a walk, and a sac bunt while bringing up eight batters and chasing Growlers starter Tanner Ware out of the ballgame.
– Kalamazoo would chase Kenosha starter out of the fourth inning after putting up 11 men to the plate, scoring four runs on four hits, three walks including a two-RBI single from Casen Taggart on his final day with the Growlers.
– Both bullpens would show out in the back-half, retiring 36 of the next 46 batters, keeping the game tied heading into extras.
– After a sac bunt that moved up the Growlers placement runner to third, Jeter Ybarra had a chance to be a hero with two-outs. On a 1-0 pitch, a wild pitch would give the Growlers their first walk-off win of the season and secure a three game sweep.