Growlers hope to lay the wood on the ‘Chucks
Kalamazoo, Mich. – The Kalamazoo Growlers just got back from Rochester, Minn., where they took two games from the Rochester Honkers, and they will look to keep the winning ways going when the Wisconsin Woodchucks come to town for two games.
Who: Kalamazoo Growlers (4-8) vs. Wisconsin Woodchucks ()
When: Tuesday, July 15 at 7:05 p.m. and Wednesday, July 16 at 7:05 p.m.
Where: Homer Stryker Field
Watch on kalamzoogrowlers.com under the Watch Live section
Twitter: Follow @kzoogrowlers for updates
Facebook: Updates throughout the game for the ultimate fan experience.
Thursday, July 10: LHP Greyson Granger (0-1, 13.50 ERA)
Granger struggled in his lone start for the Growlers this season, giving up nine hits and six runs to the Green Bay Bullfrogs, but he put up excellent numbers this spring at Kalamazoo Valley Community College, going 4-3 with a 2.08 ERA in 43 1/3 innings pitched.
Friday, July 11: RHP Shane Bryant (2-2, 2.85 ERA)
Bryant began the season as a starter, holding the Battle Creek Bombers to two hits and a run in his first start, but he transitioned to the bullpen soon after. He has a had a number of extended relief outings, though, including one for six innings against the Woochucks, so transitioning to the rotation won't be too much of a stretch.
LAST TIME THEY MET
All-time series: 1-3
June 26: Wisconsin 10, Kalamazoo 9
June 27: Kalamazoo 8, Wisconsin 7
NORTHWOODS LEAGUE RANKINGS
• Batting average: .272 (2nd)
• Runs scored: 243 (t-7th)
• Hits: 443 (2nd)
• Triples: 15 (1st)
• Home Runs: 23 (7th)
• RBIs: 216 (5th)
• ERA: 5.63 (18th)
• Hits: 443 (15th)
• Walks: 270 (18th)
• Strikeouts: 278 (14th)
• Innings Pitched: 411 (9th)
• Josh Long (Northwood University) earned his first win for the Growlers on Saturday against the Honkers, allowing one hit and one run in 2 2/3 innings pitched in relief. The sidearming lefty with good vertical action on his fastball and breaking ball and has filled in ably as a mid-season acquisition.
• Karl Sorensen has mashed ever since the Growlers picked him up when his temp contract with Rochester ended, and he continued to do so in his homecoming this weekend. He blasted a grand slam on Saturday en route to setting a team record with 6 RBIs in a game and added another hit to go along with two walks on Sunday.
• Ryan Spaulding (Ball State) had himself a very fine series against the Rochester, racking up three hits — including two doubles on Sunday — scoring five runs and walking four times. Spaulding is second on the team in free passes this year, placing one behind Troy Montgomery (Ohio State) with 22.
NORTHWOODS LEAGUE HONORS
–Player of the Night
• June 1- Nick Yarnall (3-4, HR, 3 R, BB)
• June 15- Jared Kujawa (3-4, RBI, R)
Pitcher of the Night
• July 7 – Ryan Smoyer (8 IP, 2 H, R, 5 K)
The Growlers have games on Thursday and Friday against the La Crosse Loggers, then an away matchup with the Battle Creek Bombers on Saturday and a home game on Sunday. After the all-star break, Kalamazoo is back in action at home against the Woodchucks on July 24.
The Kalamazoo Growlers are a member of the finest developmental league for elite college baseball players, the Northwoods League. Playing its 21st season of summer collegiate baseball, the Northwoods League is the largest organized baseball league in the world with 18 teams, drawing significantly more fans, in a friendly ballpark experience, than any league of its kind. A valuable training ground for coaches, umpires and front office staff, more than 115 Northwoods League players have advanced to Major League Baseball, including Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer (DET) and MLB All-Stars Chris Sale (CWS), Jordan Zimmermann (WAS), Curtis Granderson (NYM), Allen Craig (STL) and Ben Zobrist (TB). All league games are viewable live via the Northwoods League YouTube channel. For more information, visit http://www.growlersbaseball.com.