Growlers hope to return to winning ways
Kalamazoo, Mich. — The Kalamazoo Growlers dropped two competitive contests against the Wisconsin Woodchucks to open post-All Star break action, but they have an opportunity to regain a winning vibe with a pair of home games against the Kenosha Kingfish.
Who: Kalamazoo Growlers (8-12) vs. Kenosha Kingfish (14-8)
When: Saturday, July 26 at 7:05 p.m. and Sunday, July 27 at 5:05 p.m.
Where: Homer Stryker Field
Watch: kalamzoogrowlers.com under the Watch Live section: http://northwoodsleague.com/kalamazoo-growlers/video/watch-games-live/
Twitter: Follow @kzoogrowlers for updates:
Facebook: Updates throughout the game
PROBABLE STARTERS (Growlers starter in bold)
Game 1: RHP Ryan Smoyer (6-0, 2.28 ERA) vs. RHP Rex Morrow (2-0, 3.40 ERA)
Smoyer (Notre Dame) is fresh off a fine performance in the Northwoods League All-Star Game, when he entered in the top of the seventh with two men on and two outs. He gave up an infield single but fanned the next batter on a breaking ball. Smoyer's fastball hit 90 mph during his outing.
Game 2: LHP Dillon Haviland (2-5, 6.00 ERA) vs. RHP Trevor Haas (3-2, 3.67 ERA)
Haviland (Duke) struggled with his control in his most recent start, against the La Crosse Loggers, but the lefty gave up four runs in five innings, keeping the margin close enough for the Growlers to pull off a 5-4 win at home.
LAST TIME THEY MET
All-time series: 1-5
June 28: Kenosha 7, Kalamazoo 4
June 29: Kenosha 8, Kalamazoo 7
NORTHWOODS LEAGUE RANKINGS
• Batting average: .272 (5th)
• Runs scored: 282 (10th)
• Hits: 517 (3rd)
• Triples: 16 (1st)
• Home Runs: 30 (8th)
• RBIs: 256 (7th)
• ERA: 5.38 (17th)
• Hits: 521 (15th)
• Walks: 303 (18th)
• Strikeouts: 306 (17th)
• Innings Pitched: 485.0 (11th)
• The Growlers turned in an excellent pitching performance in their 2-0 loss to the Woodchucks on Thursday. Danny Mokrzycki (St. Cloud State) made his first start of the season and threw 7 1/3 innings, allowing just two runs.
• In Smoyer's last start against the Kingfish, he threw 7 1/3 innings and allowed six hits on his way to earning the win, the Growlers' only victory against Kenosha this season.
• John Brodner (Wright State) had four hits for the Growlers in their series against the Woodchucks. Brodner, a mid-July acquisition, has good pop in his bat from the right side and a very strong arm at third base.
NORTHWOODS LEAGUE HONORS
Player of the Night
• June 1: Nick Yarnall (3-4, HR, 3 R, BB)
• June 15: Jared Kujawa (3-4, RBI, R)
• June 30: Jared Kujawa (3-5, HR, 5 RBI’s)
Pitcher of the Night
• July 7: Ryan Smoyer (8 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 5 K)
• July 20: Ryan Smoyer (7.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 4 K)
The Growlers hit the road on Monday for two games against the Wisconsin Woodchucks, then return home on Wednesday for a day-night doubleheader against the Battle Creek Bombers, with the 7:05 game being played at Homer Stryker Field. Check out the schedule of upcoming promotions.
The Kalamazoo Growlers are a member of the finest developmental league for elite college baseball players, the Northwoods League. Playing its 21st season of summer collegiate baseball, the Northwoods League is the largest organized baseball league in the world with 18 teams, drawing significantly more fans, in a friendly ballpark experience, than any league of its kind. A valuable training ground for coaches, umpires and front office staff, more than 115 Northwoods League players have advanced to Major League Baseball, including Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer (DET) and MLB All-Stars Chris Sale (CWS), Jordan Zimmermann (WAS), Curtis Granderson (NYM), Allen Craig (STL) and Ben Zobrist (TB). All league games are viewable live via the Northwoods League YouTube channel. For more information, visit http://www.growlersbaseball.com.