Growlers look to Buck the losing streak against Waterloo. Series Preview (July 10-11)
Kalamazoo, Mich. – The Kalamazoo Growlers will be looking to turn around their fortunes this time when they take on the Waterloo Bucks of the North Division. The last time the two teams met was back on June 6 and 7 when Waterloo swept Kalamazoo at Homer Stryker Field. The Growlers mustered just two runs and 14 hits in those two games.
Who: Kalamazoo Growlers (2-6) at Waterloo Bucks (4-5)
When: Thursday, July 10 at 7:35 p.m. and Friday, July 11 at 8:05 p.m.
Where: Riverfront Stadium
Watch on kalamzoogrowlers.com under the Watch Live section
Twitter: Follow @kzoogrowlers for updates
Facebook: Updates throughout the game for the ultimate fan experience.
Thursday, July 10: LHP Caleb Baragar (0-3, 5.58 ERA) vs. RHP Cody Sedlock (2-2, 3.46 ERA)
Caleb Baragar (Jackson CC) will be making his sixth start of the year and fourth start on the road for the Growlers. Baragar did a mighty fine job in his last outings, going four solid innings, allowing just two hits and giving up four runs against the Lakeshore Chinooks, the first half South Division champions. Baragar has never given up more than four runs in an outing.
Friday, July 11: LHP Dillon Haviland (2-4, 4.36 ERA) vs. RHP Tim Shannon (1-3, 7.17 ERA)
Dillon Haviland (Duke) rushed onto the scene for the Growlers in the starting rotation as he went 2-1 in his first three starts. He then has tailed off a bit, losing in his last three starts. The last time the Growlers and the Bucks met, Haviland pitched to one batter in a relief outing. This will be Haviland's seventh appearance on the road this season.
LAST TIME THEY MET
All-time series- 0-2
June 6: Waterloo 2, Kalamazoo 0
June 7: Waterloo 3, Kalamazoo 2
NORTHWOODS LEAGUE RANKINGS
• Batting average- .270 (2nd)
• Runs scored- 219 (7th)
• Hits- 400 (2nd)
• Triples – 14 (1st)
• Home Runs – 20 (8th)
• RBI’s – 193 (4th)
• Earned Runs – 225 (18th)
• Hits – 396 (15th)
• Walks – 236 (18th)
• Strikeouts – 261 (14th)
• Innings Pitched – 375.0 (9th)
• Although the Growlers are getting off to a slow start in the second half of play, Kalamazoo's offense has kept up the hot hitting. The Growlers are currently second in the Northwoods League with a .270 team batting average. Troy Montgomery (Ohio State) leads the team with a .347 batting average and is fourth in the league.
• The Growlers pitching staff has had its moments of greatness but their Achilles heel is allowing walks. The Growlers have given up 236 walks, which is the most in the Northwoods League and is 31 more than the second place team.
• Montgomery has shined in games against the Bucks, totaling 4-for-9 with one RBI and one run scored.
NORTHWOODS LEAGUE HONORS
–Player of the Night
• June 1- Nick Yarnall (3-4, HR, 3 R, BB)
• June 15- Jared Kujawa (3-4, RBI, R)
Pitcher of the Night
• July 7 – Ryan Smoyer (8 IP, 2 H, R, 5 K)
The Growlers will head out for one more two-game road trip against another North Division opponent in the Rochester Honkers. The Growlers split their first meeting of the season with the Honkers at Homer Stryker Field.
The Kalamazoo Growlers are a member of the finest developmental league for elite college baseball players, the Northwoods League. Playing its 21st season of summer collegiate baseball, the Northwoods League is the largest organized baseball league in the world with 18 teams, drawing significantly more fans, in a friendly ballpark experience, than any league of its kind. A valuable training ground for coaches, umpires and front office staff, more than 115 Northwoods League players have advanced to Major League Baseball, including Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer (DET) and MLB All-Stars Chris Sale (CWS), Jordan Zimmermann (WAS), Curtis Granderson (NYM), Allen Craig (STL) and Ben Zobrist (TB). All league games are viewable live via the Northwoods League YouTube channel. For more information, visit http://www.growlersbaseball.com.