Kalamazoo Growlers vs. Lakeshore Chinooks series preview (July 4-5)
Who: Lakeshore Chinooks (25-11) vs. Kalamazoo Growlers (13-24)
When: Friday, July 4 at 7:35 p.m. and Saturday, July 5 at 7:05 p.m.
Where: Homer Stryker Field
Live Stream: Northwoods League YouTube Channel
Gameday: Follow the game on Pointstreak
Twitter: Follow @kzoogrowlers for updates
Facebook: Updates throughout the game
PROBABLE STARTERS (Growlers starter in italics)
Game 1: Shaun Anderson (2-1, 2.84 ERA) vs. Caleb Baragar (0-2, 4.69 ERA)
Baragar (Jackson CC) started the first game in Growlers' history against the Madison Mallards and will also start the July 4th game at Homer Stryler Field. The Indiana commit recorded his second longest outing of the year in his last start on Monday against the Battle Creek Bombers. The left-hander allowed just one hit while striking out four. His walks have been a problem for Baragar all summer, totaling 19 walks in just 15 1/3 innings.
Game 2: Cam Vieaux (2-1, 2.45 ERA) vs. Dillon Haviland (2-3, 4.72 ERA)
Haviland (Duke) bounced back in his last start against the Kenosha Kingfish on June 29 after a couple of rough outings. Despite allowing five runs, only one of those was earned as he allowed only six hits as well over six innings. The junior left-hander pitches to contact for the most part but has recorded 24 strikeouts over 26 2/3 innings.
LAST TIME THEY MET
All-time series: 0-3
Sunday, June 22: Lakeshore 5, Kalamazoo 2
Monday, June 23: Postponed (Rescheduled for August 2 at 3:30 p.m.)
NORTHWOODS LEAGUE RANKINGS
Batting (League ranking in parentheses)
- Batting average: .273 (2nd)
- Runs scored: 195 (4th)
- Hits: 348 (1st)
- Triples: 11 (1st)
- Home Runs: 20 (6th)
- RBIs: 173 (1st)
Pitching (League ranking in parentheses)
- ERA: 5.45 (16th)
- Hits: 345 (15th)
- Walks: 205 (Last)
- Strikeouts: 232 (13th)
- Karl Sorensen (St. Cloud State) was recently picked up by the Growlers after injuries to a couple of key infielders. Sorensen's first games of the season came against the Battle Creek Bombers on Monday as a part of a day-night doubleheader. He has started out hitting well, going 6-for17 (.353) including two doubles and three RBI. Sorensen has also crossed home three times over his first four games for one of the top offenses in the Northwoods League.
- Jared Kujawa (Western Michigan) is currently on a five-hitting streak and has posted a hit in nine of his past 10 games played. The junior outfielder also has five multi-hit games over his past 10, while playing every day. His average is creeping up to .300 (.292 coming into Friday). In a 10-3 win against the Bombers on Monday, Kujawa went off, going 3-for-5 with a home run, two doubles and five RBI. Kujawa received Northwoods League Player of the Night honors for his performance against the Growlers' rival.
- Ryan Smoyer (Notre Dame) has been one of the few bright spots on the Growlers' pitching staff, sporting an ERA of 2.62 over 37 2/3 innings. The freshman's past two starts have been great for a depleted Growlers bullpen, as he pitched into the eighth inning in both starts. He allowed two earned runs off just six hits in each of his past two starts.
NORTHWOODS LEAGUE HONORS
Player of the Night
- June 1: Nick Yarnall (3-4, HR, 3 R, BB)
- June 15: Jared Kujawa (3-4, RBI, R)
- June 30: Jared Kujawa (3-5, HR, 2 2B, 5 RBI)
The Growlers will host the Madison Mallards for another two-game series to roundout the homestand at Homer Stryker Field on Sunday and Monday. Sunday is Eaton Family Funday at the ballpark, as well as our second baseball card set giveaway. Monday is Slice Night (.25 Little Caeser's Pizza slices) and Bark in the Park Night, where fans will be able to bring their dog to the park. Tickets can be purchases online under the "Buy Tickets" tab or over the phone (269-492-9966). Fans can always visit the Box Office at Homer Stryker Field, which is open from 9 a.m to 5 p.m. Monday thru Friday.