KALAMAZOO, MI – The 2016 Southwest Michigan Race for the Cure®, locally presented by Premier Radiology, will celebrate its 20th year as part of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Series – the largest, most successful education and fundraising event for breast cancer in the world.
In celebration of this year’s event, Susan G. Komen Michigan is excited to announce its new partnership with the Kalamazoo Growlers and new location at Homer Stryker Field in Kalamazoo. “The Growlers are extremely excited to partner with Susan G. Komen® Michigan on their 20th annual Race for the Cure.” said John Bollinger, General Manager of the Kalamazoo Growlers. “When we sat down and started brainstorming, you could tell everyone truly wanted to put on an event that made participating families go ‘WOW’! Through our partnership, we’re now able to offer not only a unique run venue, but some exclusive family fun opportunities that will make 2016 the best experience yet.”
The 2016 Race, to be held on Saturday, May 14 in Kalamazoo, will continue to hold many of its annual traditions including special activities for survivors, sponsor giveaways and live entertainment, but will also feature new elements including access to the Growlers’ Kidz Zone area complete with a bounce house and fun games for children, a chance to ride the Growler’s new zip line, photo opportunities with the Growlers’ mascot, Porter, and a few more surprises that will be revealed on Race day. Also, anyone who registers for this year’s Southwest Michigan Race will receive a ticket to the Growlers opening weekend Susan G. Komen Night game presented by WWMT Newschannel 3 on Friday, June 3rd as well as a pink Growlers baseball hat.
Each year, the Southwest Michigan Race for the Cure raises significant funds for Komen Michigan. 75% of the funds raised through this event stay in the Affiliate’s Southwest Michigan service area to help local women and men find breast cancer early and beat it. The remaining 25% is invested in ground-breaking, global breast cancer research. “Over the past 20 years, through events like the Southwest Michigan Race for the Cure, Susan G. Komen has made tremendous strides in the fight against breast cancer,” said Jennifer Jurgens, Executive Director of Susan G. Komen Michigan. “But, with an average of 35 women dying from breast cancer each month throughout Komen Michigan’s 20-county service area, our work is far from over. Please consider helping us work toward a world without breast cancer by joining us on Saturday, May 14.”
For more information or to register today, visit: http://michigan.info-komen.org/site/TR?fr_id=6214&pg=entry.
To learn more about Komen Michigan funded breast health programs in Southwest Michigan, visit: www.KomenMichigan.org/grants.
Special thanks to the 2016 National Race Series Sponsors: Bank of America, American Airlines, Ford, New Balance, PR Nutrition, SELF Magazine and Walgreens.
About Susan G. Komen Michigan
Komen Michigan is an independent, local non-profit organization that is dedicated to combating breast cancer. Seventy-five percent of the organization’s net proceeds go towards programs and funding grants to local hospitals and community organizations that provide breast health education, screenings, diagnostics and survivorship programs for underserved men and women in Michigan. The remaining 25% of net proceeds funds global, leading-edge research focused on the prevention of, and cures for, breast cancer. Komen Michigan’s mission is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality of care for all, and energizing science to find the cures. For more information call (269) 341-4209 or visit www.komenmichigan.org.
About Susan G. Komen®
Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $847 million in research and provided $1.8 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life. Visit komen.org or call 1-877 GO KOMEN. Connect with us on social at ww5.komen.org/social.