Season In Review | Rox Put Together Another Winning Season in 2018
The St. Cloud Rox put together yet another winning season during the 2018 Northwoods League year.
The Rox concluded the summer by tallying their sixth straight winning season, while once again recording a winning record at the Rock Pile for the fourth year in a row.
St. Cloud finished with an overall record of 37-35, concluding the season strong with a 21-15 record in the second half alone.
The summer of 2018 was one to remember and one filled with many great moments, from exciting promotions and giveaways, sold out crowds at the Rock Pile, record-breaking performances and much more.
Thank you for a great 2018 season, Rox fans!
Packing the Rox Pile
Night in and night out, Rox fans packed the Rock Pile once again during the summer of 2018 in St. Cloud.
Thanks to the best fans in the Northwoods League, your Rox once again led all Minnesota Northwoods League teams in attendance with 54,665 fans attending Rox games at the Rock Pile.
Yet another successful season in St. Cloud could not have happened without the overwhelming support of the community!
Thank you, Rox fans, for showing your enormous support by continuing to come out and enjoy Rox Solid Fun all summer long. We look forward to seeing you in 2019!
Rox Set New Records
Throughout the course of the 2018 season, numerous Rox players set new franchise single-game and single-season records.
As far as single-game records, the Rox saw a total of seven records either tied or broken this summer.
- On May 31, Ricardo Sanchez (Arkansas at Pine Bluff) tallied three doubles against Mankato, tying Michael Strem’s record set in 2015.
- On June 6 against La Crosse, Sanchez also tied the franchise mark for walks in a game, drawing four against the Loggers.
- On June 29 at the Rock Pile, Sean Ross (San Diego State) tied the record for most hits in a game with five, finishing a perfect 5-for-5 against Bismarck.
- On July 10, John Matthews (Kent State) recorded 13 strikeouts on the mound against Waterloo, tying the Rox record set by both Kenny Saenz and Aaron Rozek during the 2017 championship season.
- On July 29 in Thunder Bay, Jack Barrie (Reinhardt) had one of the most memorable performances in recent memory, setting franchise records with three home runs and seven RBI, while tying the single-game record with four runs scored.
As far as single-season records, two records were set by your Rox in 2018, both in the doubles category.
- Ryan Davis (Georgetown) tallied 22 doubles during the season, breaking a record set by Chris Paul in 2012, who had 20 total doubles.
- St. Cloud as a whole smashed the single-season record for total team doubles during a season, recording 143 in 72 games. The previous record was set in 2013 with 124 doubles.
The St. Cloud Rox are a member of the finest developmental league for elite college baseball players, the Northwoods League. Now in its 25th anniversary season, the Northwoods League is the largest organized baseball league in the world with 20 teams, drawing significantly more fans, in a friendly ballpark experience, than any league of its kind. A valuable training ground for coaches, umpires and front office staff, over 200 former Northwoods League players have advanced to Major League Baseball, including three-time Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer (WAS), two-time World Series Champions Ben Zobrist (CHC) and Brandon Crawford (SFG) and MLB All-Stars Chris Sale (BOS), Jordan Zimmermann (DET) and Curtis Granderson (TOR). All league games are viewable live via the Northwoods League portal. For more information, visit www.stcloudrox.com or download the new Northwoods League Mobile App on the Apple App Store or on Google Play and set the Rox as your favorite team.